- MIT research showcased at Singapore’s first tech carnival 2015-04-29
- Robotic stingrays, driverless golf carts, and a cancer-detection device were on display.
- DNA breakage underlies both learning, age-related damage 2015-06-04
- Process that allows brains to learn and remember also leads to degeneration with age.
- Studying XCS/BOA learning in Boolean functions 2007-03-13
Butz, M.V., & Pelikan, M. (2006). Studying XCS/BOA learning in Boolean functions: Structure encoding and random boolean functions. Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO-2006). 1449-1456.
- Surprise as shortcut for Anticipation: clustering Mental States in Reasoning 2006-12-06
To enhance effectiveness in real world applications,
autonomous agents have to develop cognitive competencies
and anticipatory capabilities. Here we
point out their strong liaison with the functional
roles of affective mental states as those of humanlike
metaphor: not only the root elements for both
surprise and anticipation are expectations, but also
part of the effects of the former elicit efforts on the
latter. By analyzing different kinds of expectations,
we provide a general architecture enhancing practical
reasoning with mental states, describing and
empirically evaluating how mental and behavioral
attitudes, emerging from mental states, can be applied
for augmenting agent reactivity, opportunism
and efficacy in terms of anticipation.
- Enabling human-robot rescue teams 2016-02-17
- System could help prevent robots from overwhelming human teammates with information.
- Kwanghun Chung receives McKnight Technological Innovations in Neuroscience Award 2016-06-24
- A bipedal robot with human reflexes 2015-08-11
- New human-machine interface keeps robot balanced, with human reflexes.
- Problem Solution Sustenance in XCS 2007-04-23
Butz, M.V., Goldberg, D.E., Lanzi, P.L., & Sastry, K. (2007). Problem Solution Sustenance in XCS: Markov Chain Analysis of Niche Support Distributions and Consequent Computational Complexity. Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, 8, 5-37.
- Surprise-Driven Belief Revision 2007-04-10
Lorini, E., Castelfranchi, C. (2006); In Proceedings of Second Biennial Conference on Cognitive Science, St. Petersburg, 9-13 June, 2006.