- Surprise as shortcut for Anticipation: clustering Mental States in Reasoning 2006-12-06
To enhance effectiveness in real world applications,
autonomous agents have to develop cognitive competencies
and anticipatory capabilities. Here we
point out their strong liaison with the functional
roles of affective mental states as those of humanlike
metaphor: not only the root elements for both
surprise and anticipation are expectations, but also
part of the effects of the former elicit efforts on the
latter. By analyzing different kinds of expectations,
we provide a general architecture enhancing practical
reasoning with mental states, describing and
empirically evaluating how mental and behavioral
attitudes, emerging from mental states, can be applied
for augmenting agent reactivity, opportunism
and efficacy in terms of anticipation.
- Lauren Uhr: a brain researcher motivated by personal experience 2016-11-21
- MIT senior studies cognitive science and medicine from the vantage point of a person with dyslexia.
- Newly discovered neural connections may be linked to emotional decision-making 2016-09-19
- Researchers suspect cells in this brain circuit could also be targets of Parkinson’s disease.
- Solving Deep Memory POMDPs with Recurrent Policy Gradients 2007-04-17
D. Wierstra, A. Foerster, J. Schmidhuber: Solving Deep Memory POMDPs with Recurrent Policy Gradients. Under review.
- Anticipations, Brains, Individual and Social Behavior: An Introduction to Anticipatory Systems 2007-10-30
In Butz M. V., Sigaud O., Pezzulo G. (Eds.), Anticipatory Behavior in Adaptive Learning Systems: From Brains to Individual and Social Behavior (LNAI 4520). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. (in press)
- Building Robots with Analogy-Based Anticipation 2007-05-09
Petkov, G., Naydenov, Ch., Grinberg, M., Kokinov(2006); Proceedings of the KI 2006, 29th German Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Bremen
- SMART automation 2017-01-19
- MIT Professor Daniela Rus combines automation and mobility to create a smarter world.
- The cognitive and behavioral mediation of institutions: Towards an account of institutional actions 2007-04-10
Tummolini L., Castelfranchi C. (2006); Cognitive Systems Research, 7(2-3), 307-323.
- Q&A: On the future of human-centered robotics 2017-05-15
- Professor David Mindell, who researches the interaction between automation and human behavior, discusses the interdependence of people, robots, and infrastructure.