- MIT Media Lab to participate in $27 million initiative on AI ethics and governance 2017-01-10
- Fund establishes a global initiative to advance artificial intelligence research for the public good.
- Surprise as shortcut for Anticipation: clustering Mental States in Reasoning 2006-12-06
To enhance effectiveness in real world applications,
autonomous agents have to develop cognitive competencies
and anticipatory capabilities. Here we
point out their strong liaison with the functional
roles of affective mental states as those of humanlike
metaphor: not only the root elements for both
surprise and anticipation are expectations, but also
part of the effects of the former elicit efforts on the
latter. By analyzing different kinds of expectations,
we provide a general architecture enhancing practical
reasoning with mental states, describing and
empirically evaluating how mental and behavioral
attitudes, emerging from mental states, can be applied
for augmenting agent reactivity, opportunism
and efficacy in terms of anticipation.
- A radiation-free approach to imaging molecules in the brain 2016-12-02
- New probe induces blood flow changes that can be seen by MRI.
- New robot rolls with the rules of pedestrian conduct 2017-08-30
- Approach may enable robots to move around hospitals, malls, and other areas with heavy foot traffic.
- Study: Distinct brain rhythms and regions help us reason about categories 2018-01-25
- High-frequency gamma oscillations sort similar-looking objects; lower-frequency beta oscillations kick in when connections are more abstract.
- Design your own custom drone 2016-12-05
- CSAIL system lets users design and fabricate drones with a wide range of shapes and structures.
- Ingestible robots, glasses-free 3-D, and computers that explain themselves 2016-12-16
- A look at 16 of the coolest things that happened at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory in 2016.
- Scientists identify brain circuit that drives pleasure-inducing behavior 2017-03-22
- Surprisingly, the neurons are located in a brain region thought to be linked with fear.
- Cheetah III robot preps for a role as a first responder 2018-03-26
- Sangbae Kim is now developing the Cheetah III as a commercially viable robot to operate in compromised emergency response environments.