- Jonathan How named AIAA Fellow 2016-02-11
- MIT professor and engineer honored for significant contributions to the field of aeronautics.
- Gradient descent methods in learning classifier systems 2007-04-23
Butz, M.V., Goldberg, D.E., & Lanzi, P.L. (2005) Gradient descent methods in learning classifier systems: Improving XCS performance in multistep problems. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 9, 452-473.
- Replicating the connection between muscles and nerves 2016-08-03
- New chip could help test drugs for ALS, other neuromuscular disorders.
- A developmental approach to dynamic scene understanding 2007-04-22
Balkenius, C., and Johansson, B. (2006). A developmental approach to dynamic scene understanding. Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Epigenetic Robotics (p. 165). Lund University Cognitive Studies, 128.
- Artificial whisker reveals source of harbor seal’s uncanny prey-sensing ability 2015-10-16
- Study finds a whisker’s “slaloming” motion helps seals track and chase prey.
- Surprise as shortcut for Anticipation: clustering Mental States in Reasoning 2006-12-06
To enhance effectiveness in real world applications,
autonomous agents have to develop cognitive competencies
and anticipatory capabilities. Here we
point out their strong liaison with the functional
roles of affective mental states as those of humanlike
metaphor: not only the root elements for both
surprise and anticipation are expectations, but also
part of the effects of the former elicit efforts on the
latter. By analyzing different kinds of expectations,
we provide a general architecture enhancing practical
reasoning with mental states, describing and
empirically evaluating how mental and behavioral
attitudes, emerging from mental states, can be applied
for augmenting agent reactivity, opportunism
and efficacy in terms of anticipation.
- Learning to select targets within targets in reaching tasks. 2008-05-15
Herbort O., Ognibene O., Butz M.V., Baldassarre G. (2007). Learning to
select targets within targets in reaching tasks. The 6th IEEE International
Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL2007).
- The Anticipatory Nature of Representations 2007-04-15
Giovanni Pezzulo, Gianluca Baldassarre, Rino Falcone, Cristiano Castelfranchi (2006). Proceedings of the 50th Anniversary Summit of Artificial Intelligence (ASAI50).
- Combining Gradient-Based With Evolutionary Online Learning: An Introduction to Learning Classifier Systems 2007-10-30
Seventh International Conference on Hybrid Intelligent Systems (HIS 2007), 12-17.